Thursday, January 10, 2013

The best Crème Caramel there is!!

After struggling for a few weeks I have finally found the best cream caramel recipe! I know I know.. I have not written a word in two years and all of a sudden I'm back.. I have to say it's thanks to my lovely friend Aida who after a long talk yesterday made me realise that I should more often do things that I love and that I enjoy and make me happy and well.. finding the best way to make cream caramel is what gives me pleasure :)
Back to the recipe. The problem with deserts in general is that it's a very precise art, but after a few tries I found the best basic recipe for cream caramel..I will later on come with some additions and adjustments but for now the basic:



Caramel:
100 g sugar
0.75 dl water




Set the oven to 175 degrees Celsius then place a wide pan filled with water to the middle and place in it another deep pan 1,5 liter (the one you will bake the cream caramel in) into the oven to heat.
heat the sugar and water on medium heat till dark brown that would take from 5 to 10 minutes. It will smell a bit burned. That's ok! It's meant to be just slightly burned so it'll have this beautiful taste.
Take the pans out of the oven and pour the caramel in your deep pan and make sure it covers the bottom completely and goes up the sides.

Cream: 
4 dl milk
2 dl whipping cream
1 vanilla bean stalk, split in the middle
80 g sugar (almost a 1 dl)
3 big eggs
2 egg yellows



Scrape the vanilla bean stalk then add the stalk and the content to the milk and cream in a casserole and bring to a boil and take it off the stove. Add the sugar and mix till the sugar is dissolved then let covered to rest for 10 mins.
Whisk in the eggs and egg yellows adding one at a time then pour the mixture into your deep pan and place it back into the over for 45 minutes, covering it with foil-paper to insure it'll not take any colour.

Wait till it has completely cooled off before turning upside down into a deep serving dish and make sure you go around the edges with a knife so it won't get stuck to the pan.

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment